Friday, March 25, 2011

Whole Slow Roasted Chicken

I actually made this last week but completely forgot until I noticed the pictures while looking for something else on my computer.   Don't be intimidated by cooking a whole chicken! The only gross part is taking out the giblets and that's over it about 3 seconds. I usually buy mine from Trader Joe's - they have Draper Valley Farms chickens for around $6. Their chicken isn't really organic but I think it's good enough!  Yup, I want to know where my chicken comes from. I'm guessing everyone and their mom has seen this clip but just in case!  The first couple of times I made this I used a recipe from Food.com but finally branched out and made my own spice blend.  Gina posted about this too, check out her pictures!




Spice blend from Food.com:

4 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon thyme
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder


My spice blend:

2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons onion power
1 teaspoons garlic power
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon parsley
1 teaspoon basil

Obvious ingredient: 1 large whole roasting chicken

Directions: Combine all spices in a small bowl. Clean the chicken and remove any giblets or other gross bits. Rub the spice mixture onto the chicken.  Place the bird inside a resealable plastic bag and refridgerate overnight (optional but worth the extra effort).  Put the chicken into the crockpot and cook on low for 4 - 8 hours. (I've been cooking mine for 7 hours). If you're worried at all double check the bird with a thermometer - it should be around 165 degrees. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment